While abusing a senior is something that would never even occur to most people, it’s a tragically common occurrence in the U.S.Elder abuse occurs in many forms, from physical to emotional, and it affects the most frail and vulnerable among us.
Because elder abuse is often a silent problem, it’s essential for families and friends of seniors to be aware of the signs and symptoms of elder abuse in order to protect their senior loved ones. Our respite care Charlotte, NC based experts have compiled some of the warning signs that may indicate elder abuse.
- Signs of injury like bruises, welts, or scars, especially if they appear symmetrically on two sides of the body
- Broken bones or sprains
- Drug overdoses or regularly missed medications
- Broken eyeglasses
- Signs of being restrained, such as red marks or bruises on the wrists
- Caregivers refusing to allow the senior to be seen alone
- Controlling behavior from the caregiver, such as:
- Yelling at or threatening the senior
- Humiliating or ridiculing the senior
- Ignoring the senior
- Isolating the senior from friends and family
- Behavior that mimics dementia, such as rocking, sucking, or mumbling to oneself
- Unhealthy weight loss or malnutrition
- Physical problems, such as bed sores, that have not been treated
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Neglected hygiene
- Unsuitable clothing or covering for the weather
- Unsafe living conditions (no heat or running water; faulty electrical wiring, other fire hazards)
- Desertion of the senior at a public place
The early signs of elder abuse may be difficult to recognize and may appear to be symptoms of Alzheimer’s or increased frailty. Alternatively, a caregiver who is abusing the senior may explain signs of abuse away. To help prevent abuse, make a point to call and visit senior loved ones often and be on the lookout for any changes in the senior’s personality or behavior. If any signs of elder abuse are witnessed or suspected, they should be reported immediately.
Comprehensive Home Care’s Charlotte, NC respite care services can help families keep senior loved ones safe, happy, and healthy. As the top-rated home care agency in the Charlotte area, we can provide in-home care services, Alzheimer’s and dementia care, and services for people with disabilities to ensure that seniors are safe and well cared for. Contact us at 704-333-5214 for a professional assessment to learn how we can help your senior loved one.