Helping seniors stay healthy and safe is the main goal of our Charlotte, NC senior care professionals. For this reason, it’s essential that we discuss a difficult topic, elder abuse. The CDC estimates that around 500,000 older adults are abused or neglected every year in the U.S. and many other cases are unreported each year. As a family or friend of a senior receiving care, it’s important to be mindful of the risk factors.
Be aware of the following risk factors associated with elder abuse:
- Dependency on others. Seniors are sometimes reluctant to speak up about any abuse because they may fear that a different caregiver will not meet their needs.
- Decreased physical health and mobility. Seniors with certain diseases and disabilities may be at higher a risk of abuse because he/she may not be able to verbalize the abuse.
- History of abuse. If someone has a history of abuse there is an increased risk for abuse in their later years. This is the case especially when a victim of abuse by the senior is now their primary caregiver.
- Social isolation. Social isolation often occurs when a senior loses a spouse or lives at a distance from family and friends. Abusers often try to keep seniors isolated by doing the following:
- Refusing to apply for economic aid or services.
- Resisting outside help.
- Changing social and healthcare providers frequently to make it difficult for the senior to assess their health status.
- Controlling contact with family and friends.
- Family caregiver stress or burnout. Overwhelmed caregivers may start to lash out at the seniors in their care.
Make sure to call or visit as often as possible to also play an active role in their care. Comprehensive Home Care can also help as we understand the importance of a senior’s health and safety. Each member of our Charlotte, NC senior care team has passed a thorough background check, reference checks, and an in-depth personal interview to ensure they meet high standards. All of our caregivers are licensed certified nursing assistants (CNAs) in good standing in the state of North Carolina, so rest assured your loved one is in capable, experienced hands. Contact us today to learn more about our Charlotte home care services.