Parkinson’s disease is more prevalent than MS, muscular dystrophy, and ALS combined. 600,000 Americans are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease each year, seven to ten million people worldwide have already been diagnosed. There are five main stages of progression, though each case is different.
Learn the symptoms of the five stages of Parkinson’s disease:
1st Stage: The first stage is early-stage Parkinson’s where mild symptoms occur and may be noticeable to your loved ones.
- Symptoms are bothersome but not disabling.
- Typically symptoms occur on one side of the body.
- Tremors or uncontrollable shaking may occur in one limb.
- Facial, posture, and/or balance may also change.
2nd Stage: In the second stage of Parkinson’s, the person begins to display an inability to complete standard physical tasks.
- Symptoms cause minimal disability.
- Symptoms occur on both sides of the body.
- Equilibrium and posture changes, as well.
3rd Stage: The third stage is moderate Parkinson’s disease and a higher degree of disability becomes apparent.
- Moderate dysfunction occurs.
- Movements become slowed.
- Balance decreases so standing becomes more difficult.
4th Stage: The fourth stage is indicative of advanced Parkinson’s.
- Severe symptoms cause an inability to complete daily tasks so it may be difficult for them to live alone.
- Movements become rigidity or sluggish in this stage.
- Tremors may begin to lessen or disappear altogether for unknown reasons.
5th Stage: The fifth and final stage usually takes over physical movements.
- Symptoms cause a decline in vitality in both body and mind.
- Changes in equilibrium and strength occur so walking and standing become difficult.
Our skilled caregivers are fully trained and can help those with Parkinson’s disease to experience a better quality of life, right in the comfort of their home. Comprehensive Home Care can help with daily personal care, transportation to doctors appointments, running errands, light housework, or meal preparation. Our companionship can brighten their day. Our home care is customized to each person’s needs and preferences. Call us any time at 704-333-5214 to learn more.