Participating in an ongoing fitness plan is challenging at any age. All of us have made excuses for not exercising and aging makes it even more difficult to commit to a fitness plan. Our home care experts want to help you understand the factors that go into building a fitness plan for your loved one.
The factors involved in senior fitness include:
- Self-confidence. It’s natural for older adults to become overwhelmed with the idea of achieving fitness goals. Have them start slowly with easier exercises and then progress gradually. Continue to provide ongoing support throughout the program.
- Attitude. Attitude is so important when it comes to staying physically fit. If approached negatively it will be so much harder to stick to a fitness program. Choose activities that will be enjoyable and that they will look forward to.
- Pain. They should avoid overdoing it and pushing their body to discomfort or pain.
- Disabilities. Older adults with physical or cognitive impairments can and should stay active within their ability level. Ask their doctor for a referral to a personal trainer or physical therapist who can create a specialized fitness program.
- Fear of Injury/Balance Problems. Utilize a variety of different assistive products to improve safety.
- Financial Issues. Exercising doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Walking and other simple activities can be effective with little to no cost.
- Illness or Fatigue. Workouts should be tailored to match their energy level and the intensity can be increased over time.
The key to ongoing success with a fitness program is to make sure the senior is comfortable and feels safe with the plan. If any pain is felt in muscles or bones following an exercise the intensity can be decreased. Make sure to check with their doctor if the pain or discomfort continues and/or intensifies. Comprehensive Home Care will work with your loved one’s doctor to develop a safe fitness plan to help build strength, independence, and quality of life. Contact us at 704-333-5214 for more senior fitness tips and to learn about our home care services.