It’s very important to understand ways to effectively speak to a loved one who is suffering from dementia. Speaking effectively includes knowing how to address questions and provide comfort.
The Alzheimer’s Association addresses a term called “loving deception”, allowing someone with dementia to maintain misconceptions in order to reduce anxiety and agitation. Conversely, others believe complete honesty and transparency is the best way to show support.
Our tips on speaking to a loved one with dementia include:
- Answer the question, then shift the topic to something more soothing.
- Acknowledge and be sensitive to the feelings they’re experiencing.
- Be patient if the questions are repeated.
- Provide comfort if the answers upset them.
- Do a web search with your loved one for the answer if it’s not known. For assistance, check out our resources page here.
Check out the Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Services page to learn more about the services we provide. For more communication recommendations for your loved one contact the care professionals at Comprehensive Home Care. Call us at 704-333-5214 to speak with one of our dementia care experts or contact us online.
Check out the blog post Dementia to learn more about the symptoms, diagnosis, and care options.